You just had an appointment with your doctor. Was it a good experience? It’s important that it was, because a good experience with your doctor means you’re more likely to follow through on his or her recommendations. Here are things you should look for to know if you had a good experience.
Your provider should:
- Care about you as a person.
- Know the important information about your medical history, including up-to-date information about care you received from specialists.
- Listen carefully to you and show respect for what you have to say.
- Explain things in a way that is easy for you to understand.
- Answer your questions to your satisfaction.
- Spend enough time with you.
- Give you easy to understand instructions about taking care of yourself, including how to use medications.
- Follow up with you about test results.
- Offer timely appointments, care and information.
- Have an office staff that is helpful, courteous and respectful.